Saint Louis Historical
Jefferson National Expansion Memorial
11 N. 4th Street
St. Louis, MO 63102
"When you think Saint Louis, think Saint Louis Front Page," a weekly publication covering the news and events in the greater St. Louis area.
How To Reach:
St. Louis Front Page
3832 S Broadway Street
St. Louis, MO 63118
To submit news, contact:
To advertise, contact:
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com), June 8, 2012 - The first full statue ever dedicated to Dred Scott and his wife Harriet was unveiled Friday, June 8, in front of the historic Old Courthouse in downtown St. Louis.
Mrs. Lynne M. Jackson, great-great granddaughter of Dred Scott and founder of the Dred Scott Heritage Foundation, participated in the unveiling of the statue as it was gifted to the American people through the National Parks Service.
The Old Courthouse in St. Louis is where the Scotts petitioned in 1846 for their freedom from slavery, setting in motion the presidential candidacy of Abraham Lincoln, the U.S. Civil War and three amendments to the U.S. Constitution.
According to the online Dred Scott history exhibit at Washington University in St. Louis: "St. Louis' Old Courthouse was the site of one of the most important events in American history. Dred Scott, a slave aged some 50 years, and his wife Harriet, petitioned for their freedom in 1846. The Scotts' two trials, in 1847 and 1850 in Missouri, instigated a series of complex events which resulted in a Supreme Court decision, and ultimately hastened the onset of the American Civil War."
The Dred Scott Decision inspired Abraham Lincoln to run for president. According to historians, the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments were a result of the Dred Scott Decision and the Civil War.
To date, the foundation has raised over $150,000 towards the statue's $250,000 dollar price tag. Tax-deductible donations for the statue may be made via Paypal through The Dred Scott Heritage Foundation at http://www.thedredscottfoundation.org/
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com) - In 1826, construction of the original Federal Style Courthouse began on land donated for use as a public square by Auguste Chouteau and J.B.C. Lucas. Construction on the existing Greek Revival style Courthouse began in 1839 and continued through several transitions until 1862.
The courthouse was the scene of many rallies, speeches and several important trials, including the suit by Dred Scott for freedom from slavery and Suffragist Virginia Louisa Minor for the right to vote.
A special exhibit, Dred Scott, Slavery and The Struggle to Be Free, is currently on display in the Rotunda of the Old Courthouse. The exhibit describes several aspects of African-American society and culture, from slavery to free black business owners to the "colored aristocracy" of rich landowners.
In 1940, the city of St. Louis deeded the Old Courthouse to the Federal Government. Today, this nineteenth-century courthouse features restored courtrooms, a decorated dome, Dioramas, the "Gateway To The West" film and galleries depicting the history of St. Louis.
The Old Courthouse, part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park, is open to the public daily from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. Admission is free.
The park features the Gateway Arch, designed by architect Eero Saarinen who won the design competition in 1947. The stainless steel structure rises 630 feet high from a 60-foot foundation and spans 630 feet at ground level. Its classic weighted catenary curve sways 1/2" - 1" in 20 mph wind. Construction on the nation's tallest memorial began in 1961 with the "topping out" in 1965 and dedication in 1966.
At night, horse drawn carriages and live music add to the downtown atmosphere. Nearby, sightseeing excursions offer additional choices for entertainment.
Directions: The Old Courthouse is located at 11 North Fourth Street, just west of the Gateway Arch. The building is approximately two blocks north of Busch Stadium, home of St. Louis Cardinals baseball. Approximately five blocks to the north is the America's Center and Dome Stadium, home of the St. Louis Rams football. The Scottrade Center, home of the St. Louis Blues, is located just 10 blocks west of the Old Courthouse.
The Saint Louis Front Page is owned and maintained by the Moore Design Group for the sole purpose of disseminating news and information about the Metropolitan Saint Louis area. Text or graphics may not be copied, rewritten or distributed in any manner whatsoever without written permission. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org All rights reserved world wide © 1996 - 2012 Moore Design Group.
Vacation Savings at