Gateway Arch National Park
11 N. 4th Street
St. Louis, MO 63102
"When you think Saint Louis, think Saint Louis Front Page," a weekly publication covering the news and events in the greater St. Louis area.
3832 S Broadway Street
St. Louis, MO 63118
To submit news, contact:
To advertise, contact:
Museum at the Gateway Arch Gets LEED Gold
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com), February 3, 2019 - The Gateway Arch Park Foundation has announced that the newly renovated Visitor Center and Museum at the Gateway Arch have been awarded LEED Gold in recognition of the building's sustainable site development, water savings, and building materials selection.
The LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) rating system, developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), is the nation's most widely recognized and accepted green building rating system. The Visitor Center and Museum join the exclusive ranks of only 10 other LEED certified sites in the National Park Service and 185 LEED projects in St. Louis.
Cooper Robertson and James Carpenter Design Associates, with Trivers Associates, designed the expanded and renovated Visitor Center and Museum at the Gateway Arch. Ground-breaking on the project took place in April 2015 and was opened to the public July 2018.
"The National Park service has ambitious sustainability goals that the design team embraced enthusiastically. In addition to a 3.1-acre extensive green roof, the building features further sustainable and resilient design components such as LED lighting, high-efficiency HVAC systems, and close connections to local public transportation networks. These features bring a high level of efficiency that matches the National Park Service's ambition. The LEED Gold certification recognizes that commitment and design innovation," said Scott Newman, Partner at Cooper Robertson.
"We are proud of the thoughtful planning and implementation of the sustainable initiatives that went into the renovation and construction of the new Visitor Center and Museum at the Gateway Arch," said Mike Ward, Superintendent Gateway Arch National Park. "Reducing our environmental impact is a top priority across the National Park Service. The sustainability measures we instituted here meet that goal and they also create an enjoyable visitor experience across our beautiful park."
Book Signing for "The Making of an Icon, 2nd Ed"
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com), February 3, 2019 - Author Jim Merkel will sign copies of his book on the construction of the St. Louis Gateway Arch, The Making of an Icon: The Dreamers, the Schemers, and the Hard Hats Who Built the Gateway Arch, at The Arch Store, Visitor Center, St. Louis, MO 63102. This event is set for Saturday, February 9 from 1 to 5 p.m. Admission is free and open to the public.
Jim Merkel grew up in St. Louis where he watched the progress of construction on the Gateway Arch with his father in the 1960s. He is the author of The Colorful Characters of St. Louis, Hoosiers and Scrubby Dutch: St. Louis's South Side, and Beer, Brats, and Baseball: German-Americans in St. Louis. He has appeared on KWMU, KDHX, and Fox 2's News in the Morning, among other programs.
With his fourth book from Reedy Press, Jim Merkel captures the spirit behind the conception and construction of one of America's most distinctive and beloved national monuments.
More than two million visitors stand in awe at the Gateway Arch each year, and the stories behind it were unearthed in breathless detail in the first edition. Back with even more lore and the addition of beautiful color images, Merkel brings new information on the Arch grounds and museum to this updated and revised second edition.
Now expanded, his book includes more stories compiled from interviews with the visionaries, finaglers, protesters, and intrepid workers who built the arch while one misstep away from a fatal fall. Merkel's book will help us appreciate the relentless pursuit, innovation, and toil that raised the Arch to the sky.
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com) - The St. Louis' historic Old Cathedral, known officially as the Basilica of Saint Louis, King of France, is one of the world's most honored churches. It stands on a tiny plot on the downtown riverfront near the south leg of the Gateway Arch. The original log chapel was dedicated over 200 years ago in 1770.
The structure of the Old Cathedral, completed in the autumn of 1834, is a prominent example of Greek Revival architecture in the United States, and it is included on the National Register of Historic Places. The exterior stone facade and the four columns that support the Doric style portico are carved from Joliet stone, mined near Joliet, Ill.
In 1961, the most important honor ever afforded any American church was handed down by His Holiness, the late Pope John XXIII, who decreed Basilican status upon the church. An intensive rehabilitation program on the appearance of the Old Cathedral was completed in 1963.
Visitors can see the tomb of Bishop Joseph Rosati, builder of the present Old Cathedral building, paintings dating back to the late 1700's and a dramatic series of Arteaga photos at the Old Cathedral Museum. The Old Cathredal is located at 209 Walnut Street, St. Louis, Missouri 63102. For more information, call 314-231-3250.
The Saint Louis Front Page is owned and maintained by the Moore Design Group for the sole purpose of disseminating news and information about the Metropolitan Saint Louis area. Text or graphics may not be copied, rewritten or distributed in any manner whatsoever without written permission. For more information, contact email@example.com All rights reserved world wide © 1996 - 2019 Moore Design Group.
Crown Arch Tee
Style meets comfort in this super soft, sublimation print Crown Arch Unisex Tee, designed by St. Louis artist Elizabeth Moore. The tee is easily dressed up with a leather jacket for a night out or worn alone for a relaxed everyday look. See all designs at ShopVIDA.com