Saint Louis Gateway Arch
Jefferson National Expansion Memorial
11 N. 4th Street
St. Louis, MO 63102
"When you think Saint Louis, think Saint Louis Front Page," a weekly publication covering the news and events in the greater St. Louis area.
St. Louis Front Page
3832 S Broadway Street
St. Louis, MO 63118
To submit news, contact:
To advertise, contact:
Riverboat Cruise Features Mississippi River Bridge|
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com), June 28, 2012 - The oldest and newest bridges over the Mississippi River at St. Louis are the focus of a new riverboat cruise that leaves from the Gateway Arch Riverboat dock located on Leonor K. Sullivan Boulevard.
The ride up the river on the Tom Sawyer Riverboat features the Mississippi River Bridge which is under construction. When that bridge opens in early 2014, it will connect Illinois and Missouri via a relocated Interstate 70. When completed, the Mississippi River Bridge will become the third longest cable-stayed bridge in the United States.
The new $667 million dollar bridge being built over the Mississippi River has generated significant interest. The new St. Louis River Bridge Cruise will give bi-state area residents and out of town visitors a unique view from the Mississippi River of the bridge under construction as well as up close views of the 138-year-old Eads Bridge, which was the first bridge in the nation to be built primarily from steel.
The design and construction of the Eads Bridge was highly controversial and some people feared it would collapse into the Mississippi River. To demonstrate it was safe, an elephant was paraded across the bridge and back. It was felt that elephants had a special instinct that would keep them from setting foot on unsafe structures. That is just one of the many things pieces of rich Eads Bridge history you will learn on the riverboat cruise.
Last month, the Metro/Bi-State Development Agency kicked off a full-scale restoration of the truss and supporting superstructure of the Eads Bridge which is national landmark. The Eads Bridge rehabilitation project will be completed in 2015. The Agency owns the rail deck and superstructure of Eads Bridge while the City of St. Louis owns the vehicle deck. Metro/Bi-State Development Agency also owns and operates the Gateway Arch Riverboats.
The special bridge tour cruises will be offered twice a month on Saturday mornings through September. The cruises are one hour with tickets priced at $14 per adult and $8 per child, with no charge for children 2 and under. For information or reservations, call 1-877-982-1410.
St. Louis Gateway Arch Provides Spectacular View of St. Louis City From 360 Feet Above
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com) - The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park was established on the banks of the Mississippi River, on December 21, 1935, to commemorate the westward growth of the United States between 1803 and 1890. Cost for the $30 million national monument was shared by the federal government and the City of St. Louis.
The park features the Gateway Arch, designed by architect Eero Saarinen who won the design competition in 1947. The stainless steel structure rises 630 feet high from a 60-foot foundation and spans 630 feet at ground level. Its classic weighted catenary curve sways 1/2" - 1" in 20 mph wind. The Arch weighs 17,246 tons. Nine hundred tons of stainless steel was used to build the Arch, more than any other project in history. Construction on the nation's tallest memorial, built at a cost of $13 million began February 12, 1963 with the "topping out" on October 28, 1965. It was dedicated in 1966.
The floor plan of the Underground Visitor Center follows a circular pattern with galleries depicting a 100-year span of westward expansion and the Tucker Theatre. Additional attractions include two passenger trams to the observation room at the top and the Museum of Westward Expansion.
Visitors to the Gateway Arch can step back in time and savor the past at Levee Mercantile. The 1870s style riverfront general store is located in the Visitor Center beneath the Arch. Many food products selected for Levee Mercantile feature Missouri artisans who use traditional recipes and time-honored production methods.
Monument to the Dream - A documentary film by Charles Guggenheim on the construction of the Arch is shown daily in the Tucker Theatre. Large screen movies are shown on the Arch's Odyssey Theatre's four story high screen featuring a 70 mm projection system and THX Sound.
Summer hours - 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day Weekend. Arch trams will run daily starting at 8:30 a.m. and ending at 9:10 p.m. Trams to the top of the Arch leave at least every 10 minutes.
Winter hours - 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week from the day after Labor Day until the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend. Arch trams will run daily starting at 9:20 am and ending at 5:10 pm. Trams to the top of the Arch leave at least every 10 minutes.
The Arch is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.
Accessibility at Gateway Arch - The Arch lobby and Museum of Westward Expansion are accessible by ramps located throughout the building. The Tucker Theater and Odyssey Theatre are both accessible to visitors using wheelchairs. Wheelchairs are available for loan on a first-come, first-served basis (inquire at information desk). Wheelchairs or strollers are not allowed at the top of the Gateway Arch.
Tram tickets: $10 adults (16 & older); $5 children (3 - 15)
Movie Tickets: $7 adults (16 & older); $2.50 children (3 - 15).
Tram & 1 Movie: $14 adults (16 & older); $7.50 children (3 - 15)
Tram & 2 Movies: $18 adults (16 & older); $10 children (3 - 15)
2 Movies: $11 adults (16 & older); $5 children (3 - 15)
Each adult tram ticket includes a $3.00 National Park entrance fee. For more information or reservations, call 877-982-1410.
St. Louis Historic Old Cathedral
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com) - The St. Louis' historic Old Cathedral, known officially as the Basilica of Saint Louis, King of France, is one of the world's most honored churches. It stands on a tiny plot on the downtown riverfront near the south leg of the Gateway Arch. The original log chapel was dedicated over 200 years ago in 1770.
In 1961, the most important honor ever afforded any American church was handed down by His Holiness, the late Pope John XXIII, who decreed Basilican status upon the church. An intensive rehabilitation program on the appearance of the Old Cathedral was completed in 1963.
Visitors can see the tomb of Bishop Joseph Rosati, builder of the present Old Cathedral building, paintings dating back to the late 1700's and a dramatic series of Arteaga photos at the Old Cathedral Museum. For more information, call 314-655-1700.
$20 Million TIGER III Funding to Jump Start CityArchRiver 2015 Project
Framing a Modern Masterpiece - Winning Team Introduced at Historical Old Courthouse
The Saint Louis Front Page is owned and maintained by the Moore Design Group for the sole purpose of disseminating news and information about the Metropolitan Saint Louis area. Text or graphics may not be copied, rewritten or distributed in any manner whatsoever without written permission. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org All rights reserved world wide © 1996 - 2012 Moore Design Group.
Vacation Savings at