Saint Louis Gateway Arch
Jefferson National Expansion Memorial
11 N. 4th Street
St. Louis, MO 63102
"When you think Saint Louis, think Saint Louis Front Page," a weekly publication covering the news and events in the greater St. Louis area.
St. Louis Front Page
3832 S Broadway Street
St. Louis, MO 63118
To submit news, contact:
To advertise, contact:
Old Cathedral Under Wraps for Two Year Restoration
A $15 million effort is underway to restore the nearly 180-year-old Basilica of St. Louis King of France - known fondly as the "Old Cathedral", which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com), August 14, 2013 - A $15 million effort is underway to restore the nearly 180-year-old Basilica of St. Louis King of France - known fondly as the "Old Cathedral", which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Old Cathedral is the only building that can be traced directly to the founding of St. Louis.
With a renewed focus on the St. Louis riverfront with the City+Arch+River 2015 initiative to improve pedestrian accessibility to the Gateway Arch and Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, the Old Cathedral is collaborating with this initiative by restoring its structure beneath one of our nation's most prestigious and recognizable monuments.
In a release Archbishop Robert J. Carlson said, "As we approach the 250th anniversary of the founding of St. Louis, the archdiocese is pleased to collaborate with the important renewal efforts taking place on the riverfront by reinstating the architectural dignity of our shared treasure, the Old Cathedral."
The Old Cathedral was last updated and the rectory and museum were built in 1959, the same time that ground was being cleared and plans were under way for the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, including the Gateway Arch and the Museum of Westward Expansion. Cardinal Joseph E. Ritter commissioned the renovation and engaged the architectural firm of Murphy and Mackey. Don C. Musick Construction was selected as the general contractor.
The architectural firm of Mackey Mitchell has been engaged to design the current renovations to the Old Cathedral and Musick Construction was chosen as the general contractor once again.
Work crews are replacing the Old Cathedral's 19 mullioned windows with new, energy efficient yet historically accurate windows framed in prefinished metal to match the original 1834 Gothic design.
After 180 years of damage to its exterior, stone repairs have begun in earnest at the Old Cathedral. 140 pieces of limestone cut to replace badly worn original stones are being installed. The process will take approximately 11 months.
In addition to the exterior, the interior infrastructure will be updated, restored and repaired, including the church pews, the wood floor, the mosaic floor, side altars' marble work and mechanical, electrical and HVAC systems.
Updates to the museum will support an active education center and allow the archdiocese to fully display an extensive collection of artifacts that date to 1818.
Charles and Shirley Drury and Don Musick of Musick Construction have been spearheading fundraising from parts of the civic and Church community for the $15 million effort, which is a little shy of $6 million so far.
Contributors have made large gifts and smaller gifts that supplement them, "and we're very grateful for every one. It's been tremendous, and now we plan to expand to a larger audience," stated Rev. Richard Quirk Ph.D., Assistant Pastor.
He noted that the Old Cathedral attracts many Downtown workers and other visitors in addition to faithful parishioners, and opening up the campaign will provide everyone an opportunity to make a donation.
To make an online donation to the campaign to restore the Old Cathedral, log on to the Old Cathedral's website www.oldcathedralstl.org and click on the giving tab for electronic gifts.
Camp In' Under the Gateway Arch
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com), August 9, 2013 - Join the National Park Service on August 24 and August 25 for a special family fun day, and discover ways to enjoy the great outdoors.
This free event commemorates the 97th birthday of the National Park Service. Hosted in the lobby of the Gateway Arch, kids are invited to explore a life-size tipi, learn how to pitch a tent and sing songs around the campfire. Park rangers will also present interactive lessons about tree identification and the Plains Indians.
Saturday, August 24: 1 pm - 4 pm
Sunday, August 25: 1 pm - 4 pm
This event is FREE and open to the public. No reservations required. For additional information, call 314-655-1614.
Work Begins on 'Park Over the Highway' Connecting Downtown to the Gateway Arch
"I'll see you here at the end of October 2015 when we will run across this park to the Arch without worrying about the traffic," stated U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill.
by Betty Moore, SLFP.com
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com), August 2, 2013 - The 'Park Over the Highway' project began in earnest today as a landscaped structure over Interstate 70 to improve pedestrian accessibility and create a model urban national park in downtown St. Louis.
As heavy traffic rushed along Memorial Drive in front of the iconic Gateway Arch, Friday morning, Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell, Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill, and state and city officials and local partners met for an official ground breaking ceremony.
"We are going to make this park better for our children and grandchildren," U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill told the crowd gathered at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Luther Ely Smith Square. "We are not going to have to dodge traffic getting to the Arch and to the river."
"Today, this is about pride in the people of St. Louis. There is not another place in the country that has done this like we have done this. There has not ever been a community that has taxed itself to support a federal park. There is only one other place that you've seen the kind of public/private partnership that we have here in St. Louis. And, that is Ellis Island. So, I'll put my Arch up against that Statue of Liberty any day," concluded McCaskill with great enthusiasm."
Story continues on: Missouri Highway Construction News
St. Louis Gateway Arch Provides Spectacular View of St. Louis City From 360 Feet Above
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com) - The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park was established on the banks of the Mississippi River, on December 21, 1935, to commemorate the westward growth of the United States between 1803 and 1890. Cost for the $30 million national monument was shared by the federal government and the City of St. Louis.
The park features the Gateway Arch, designed by architect Eero Saarinen who won the design competition in 1947. The stainless steel structure rises 630 feet high from a 60-foot foundation and spans 630 feet at ground level. Its classic weighted catenary curve sways 1/2" - 1" in 20 mph wind. The Arch weighs 17,246 tons. Nine hundred tons of stainless steel was used to build the Arch, more than any other project in history. Construction on the nation's tallest memorial, built at a cost of $13 million began February 12, 1963 with the "topping out" on October 28, 1965. It was dedicated in 1966.
The floor plan of the Underground Visitor Center follows a circular pattern with galleries depicting a 100-year span of westward expansion and the Tucker Theatre. Additional attractions include two passenger trams to the observation room at the top and the Museum of Westward Expansion.
Visitors to the Gateway Arch can step back in time and savor the past at Levee Mercantile. The 1870s style riverfront general store is located in the Visitor Center beneath the Arch. Many food products selected for Levee Mercantile feature Missouri artisans who use traditional recipes and time-honored production methods.
Monument to the Dream - A documentary film by Charles Guggenheim on the construction of the Arch is shown daily in the Tucker Theatre. Large screen movies are shown on the Arch's Odyssey Theatre's four story high screen featuring a 70 mm projection system and THX Sound.
Summer hours - 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day Weekend. Arch trams will run daily starting at 8:30 a.m. and ending at 9:10 p.m. Trams to the top of the Arch leave at least every 10 minutes.
Winter hours - 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week from the day after Labor Day until the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend. Arch trams will run daily starting at 9:20 am and ending at 5:10 pm. Trams to the top of the Arch leave at least every 10 minutes.
The Arch is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.
Accessibility at Gateway Arch - The Arch lobby and Museum of Westward Expansion are accessible by ramps located throughout the building. The Tucker Theater and Odyssey Theatre are both accessible to visitors using wheelchairs. Wheelchairs are available for loan on a first-come, first-served basis (inquire at information desk). Wheelchairs or strollers are not allowed at the top of the Gateway Arch.
Tram tickets: $10 adults (16 & older); $5 children (3 - 15)
Movie Tickets: $7 adults (16 & older); $2.50 children (3 - 15).
Tram & 1 Movie: $14 adults (16 & older); $7.50 children (3 - 15)
Tram & 2 Movies: $18 adults (16 & older); $10 children (3 - 15)
2 Movies: $11 adults (16 & older); $5 children (3 - 15)
Each adult tram ticket includes a $3.00 National Park entrance fee. For more information or reservations, call 877-982-1410.
Basilica of St. Louis King of France (Old Cathedral)
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com) - The St. Louis' historic Old Cathedral, known officially as the Basilica of Saint Louis, King of France, is one of the world's most honored churches. It stands on a tiny plot on the downtown riverfront near the south leg of the Gateway Arch. The original log chapel was dedicated over 200 years ago in 1770.
The structure of the Old Cathedral, completed in the autumn of 1834, is a prominent example of Greek Revival architecture in the United States, and it is included on the National Register of Historic Places. The exterior stone facade and the four columns that support the Doric style portico are carved from Joliet stone, mined near Joliet, Ill.
In 1961, the most important honor ever afforded any American church was handed down by His Holiness, the late Pope John XXIII, who decreed Basilican status upon the church. An intensive rehabilitation program on the appearance of the Old Cathedral was completed in 1963.
Visitors can see the tomb of Bishop Joseph Rosati, builder of the present Old Cathedral building, paintings dating back to the late 1700's and a dramatic series of Arteaga photos at the Old Cathedral Museum. The Old Cathredal is located at 209 Walnut Street, St. Louis, Missouri 63102. For more information, call 314-231-3250.
The Saint Louis Front Page is owned and maintained by the Moore Design Group for the sole purpose of disseminating news and information about the Metropolitan Saint Louis area. Text or graphics may not be copied, rewritten or distributed in any manner whatsoever without written permission. For more information, contact email@example.com All rights reserved world wide © 1996 - 2013 Moore Design Group.
Vacation Savings at