Saint Louis Gateway Arch
Jefferson National Expansion Memorial
11 N. 4th Street
St. Louis, MO 63102
"When you think Saint Louis, think Saint Louis Front Page," a weekly publication covering the news and events in the greater St. Louis area.
St. Louis Front Page
3832 S Broadway Street
St. Louis, MO 63118
To submit news, contact:
To advertise, contact:
On Thursday morning, members of the media were invited for a closer inspection of the construction zone and massive concrete "lid" and retaining walls over I-44, which when completed in 2015, will provide easy access to the Gateway Arch from downtown St. Louis.
Closer Look at CityArchRiver Park Over the Highway Connecting the Gateway Arch to Downtown St. Louis
Deanna Venker, P.E., St. Louis City Area Engineer with Missouri Department of Transporation, stood on the concrete Park Over the Highway structure, to provide an update on the project.
by Bob Moore, SLFP.com
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com), December 11, 2014 - Although visitors to the Gateway Arch grounds still encounter fences and an active construction zone, work on the Park Over the Highway, commonly known as "the lid", is currently finished.
The Missouri Highway and Transportation Commission had awarded the contract to build the Park Over the Highway project to KCI Construction Company for $26.4 million.
In an interview, during a media tour of the area on Thursday morning, Deanna Venker, P.E., St. Louis City Area Engineer with Missouri Department of Transporation, confirmed: "We are ready to hand this part of the project over to the landscape architects who are going to be installing hundreds of trees," stated Venker.
The concrete area - almost a city block at 97 feet wide by 274 feet in length - will be filled with soil, walking paths, benches and lights. "It will feel like a park when you walk across this area. You will not be able to see this concrete," she said, looking down at the massive structure that covers I-44 below, in what used to be called the "depressed section of I-70."
Venker stated that a line on the concrete wall indicates how high the soil level will be when the landscaping is complete. "It will be over my head," she said.
"It will be a wonderful walking path. At the same time, the Luther Ely Smith Square Park will be raised up from its depressed site, so that it will create a more uniform walk from the Old Courthouse over the highway to the new entrance to the museum," stated Venker.
The landscaping work begins March 2015 and is expected to be completed in late fall of 2015. In the meantime, work will begin on the final footprint of the Luther Ely Smith Square Park.
"Some of the trees and facilities that are here will be removed," said Venker. Smiling, she added that with good weather and nicer temperatures then today, they can start added new trees and shrubs.
The project component is being funded through a $20 million federal grant matched by $25 million from the state and $10 million from the CityArchRiver 2015 Foundation. Overall, the CityArchRiver 2015 initiative is expected to boost visitation to the memorial. CityArchRiver also expects the initiative to support an estimated 4,400 new permanent jobs in the region.
CityArchRiver Web Camera Shows Live Construction, Panoramic Gateway Arch Views
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com) - CityArchRiver 2015 Foundation features a camera that shows comprehensive views of construction on the renovation of the Gateway Arch grounds and its surroundings.
The robotic camera, placed on the roof of the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, offer panoramic views of the Gateway Arch grounds and downtown St. Louis in addition to high-resolution images of different components of the CityArchRiver 2015 project.
Visitors to the project website can view archived progress and time-lapse videos of construction:
The robotic camera is added to the other CityArchRiver webcams launched earlier this year that show construction on the Riverfront and Walnut Street Bridge.
St. Louis Gateway Arch Provides Spectacular View of St. Louis City From 360 Feet Above
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com) - The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park was established on the banks of the Mississippi River, on December 21, 1935, to commemorate the westward growth of the United States between 1803 and 1890. Cost for the $30 million national monument was shared by the federal government and the City of St. Louis.
The park features the Gateway Arch, designed by architect Eero Saarinen who won the design competition in 1947. The stainless steel structure rises 630 feet high from a 60-foot foundation and spans 630 feet at ground level. Its classic weighted catenary curve sways 1/2" - 1" in 20 mph wind. The Arch weighs 17,246 tons. Nine hundred tons of stainless steel was used to build the Arch, more than any other project in history. Construction on the nation's tallest memorial, built at a cost of $13 million began February 12, 1963 with the "topping out" on October 28, 1965. It was dedicated in 1966.
The floor plan of the Underground Visitor Center follows a circular pattern with galleries depicting a 100-year span of westward expansion and the Tucker Theatre. Additional attractions include two passenger trams to the observation room at the top and the Museum of Westward Expansion.
Visitors to the Gateway Arch can step back in time and savor the past at Levee Mercantile. The 1870s style riverfront general store is located in the Visitor Center beneath the Arch. Many food products selected for Levee Mercantile feature Missouri artisans who use traditional recipes and time-honored production methods.
Monument to the Dream - A documentary film by Charles Guggenheim on the construction of the Arch is shown daily in the Tucker Theatre. Large screen movies are shown on the Arch's Odyssey Theatre's four story high screen featuring a 70 mm projection system and THX Sound.
Summer hours - 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day Weekend. Arch trams will run daily starting at 8:30 a.m. and ending at 9:10 p.m. Trams to the top of the Arch leave at least every 10 minutes.
Winter hours - 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week from the day after Labor Day until the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend. Arch trams will run daily starting at 9:20 am and ending at 5:10 pm. Trams to the top of the Arch leave at least every 10 minutes.
The Arch is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.
Accessibility at Gateway Arch - The Arch lobby and Museum of Westward Expansion are accessible by ramps located throughout the building. The Tucker Theater and Odyssey Theatre are both accessible to visitors using wheelchairs. Wheelchairs are available for loan on a first-come, first-served basis (inquire at information desk). Wheelchairs or strollers are not allowed at the top of the Gateway Arch.
Tram tickets: $10 adults (16 & older); $5 children (3 - 15)
Movie Tickets: $7 adults (16 & older); $2.50 children (3 - 15).
Tram & 1 Movie: $14 adults (16 & older); $7.50 children (3 - 15)
Tram & 2 Movies: $18 adults (16 & older); $10 children (3 - 15)
2 Movies: $11 adults (16 & older); $5 children (3 - 15)
Each adult tram ticket includes a $3.00 National Park entrance fee. For more information or reservations, call 877-982-1410.
Basilica of St. Louis King of France (Old Cathedral)
A $15 million effort is underway to restore the nearly 180-year-old Basilica of St. Louis King of France - known fondly as the "Old Cathedral", which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. See related story: Old Cathedral Under Wraps for Two Year Restoration
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com) - The St. Louis' historic Old Cathedral, known officially as the Basilica of Saint Louis, King of France, is one of the world's most honored churches. It stands on a tiny plot on the downtown riverfront near the south leg of the Gateway Arch. The original log chapel was dedicated over 200 years ago in 1770.
The structure of the Old Cathedral, completed in the autumn of 1834, is a prominent example of Greek Revival architecture in the United States, and it is included on the National Register of Historic Places. The exterior stone facade and the four columns that support the Doric style portico are carved from Joliet stone, mined near Joliet, Ill.
In 1961, the most important honor ever afforded any American church was handed down by His Holiness, the late Pope John XXIII, who decreed Basilican status upon the church. An intensive rehabilitation program on the appearance of the Old Cathedral was completed in 1963.
Visitors can see the tomb of Bishop Joseph Rosati, builder of the present Old Cathedral building, paintings dating back to the late 1700's and a dramatic series of Arteaga photos at the Old Cathedral Museum. The Old Cathredal is located at 209 Walnut Street, St. Louis, Missouri 63102. For more information, call 314-231-3250.
The Saint Louis Front Page is owned and maintained by the Moore Design Group for the sole purpose of disseminating news and information about the Metropolitan Saint Louis area. Text or graphics may not be copied, rewritten or distributed in any manner whatsoever without written permission. For more information, contact email@example.com All rights reserved world wide © 1996 - 2015 Moore Design Group.
Vacation Savings at